Thursday, February 20, 2014

Thankful Thursday: For God's Promise to Sustain Us

" Perhaps I am a Bear,
 or some other hibernating animal underneath,
for the instinct to be half asleep all winter
is so strong in me."  -- Anne Morrow Lindbergh

 
 
I constantly fight the desire to nap during this time of year.  I use naps as a reward for hard work, and I definitely earn them.  My rule is to ALWAYS take an hour nap on Sunday Afternoon, whether earned or not.  It is my version of a Mini-Sabbath.  
 

I have noticed that fatigue threatens to steal my joy in living. As the clock ticks on in the evening, I force myself to continue my mothering and home-making tasks, all the while craving sleep. 

  Sometimes my attitude slips, and I snap and act harshly.  When this "unpleasant side of me" creeps in, I have learned to "set my mind" on things above, as the apostle Paul instructs us to do when storms arise. 

 The way I do so is to begin humming a Hymn, or reciting a passage memorized long ago.  Lately, it has been "We shall not all SLEEP, but we shall all be changed" from I Corinthians 15:51.   A hymn that helps me is "Peace, Be still."  

Is this easy?  No.  Do I have a Choice?  Yes!   I have a choice to make... to be a loving, consistent mother and wife, even when the chips are down for me, or to let anxiety, fatigue, and stress push me to snap, raise my voice, or cry like a newborn.  Looking deeply into my sweet son's face helps me to make the better choice.  I must Choose Joy.  I must Set My Mind. 

I am reminded of a song that I remember my Great Grandmother singing when I spent summers with her in West Virginia in my early years.  “God is my refuge and strength, an ever present help in time of trouble. So we will not fear, though the earth give way. Though the mountains fall into the midst of the sea.”

And then it ends with that famous Bible verse.

" Be still and know that I am God. "


Yes!   That's it.  Be still. Know that I am God.  I cling to my God, to His Promises to sustain me when the world, other people, even my own imperfect body wage war against me.  And so I sing the words, over and over. 

I like the fact that my son and my husband hear this.  They hear the words, they witness the example, and they just MAY be influenced by my CHOICE. 

When it feels

really HARD,

 I remind myself

that

IT IS ONLY A SEASON!

   In 10 more years my son will be off...  living his dream, and I will be able to nap on a whim. 

 No Homework, no PTA Brownies due, no School Parties for which to prep. 
 

These will all be memories,

and I will be here... with an

empty nest...

And so...   I press on!






Here are some other practical things I recommend for "those days" when the tiredness and fatigue rear their ugly heads. 
  • Keep your annual Medical Exams, have the Doctor check your blood work for deficiencies, and write down all of your symptoms and concerns before you get to the office.  Don't let the Doctor leave the room until you have discussed each one with him/her. 
  • Take Daily Vitamins.  I take Super Mom daily vitamins from The Bulk Herb Store, and they have made an enormous difference in my energy level. 
  • Begin your day with a good, Nutritious breakfast, and the Lord.  At Blue Willow our family calls our breakfast time "Proverbs for Breakfast" and read one chapter in Proverbs for the corresponding day of the month. 

What do you do to fight the ravages of fatigue? 

1 comment:

OneHopefulMom said...

Vitamins are great, and I have used the super mom and super dad vits fm Bulk Herb Store.