Monday, October 6, 2014

Gathering at the Table


     I have read that today's American family rarely gathers around the table to share the evening meal.  Statistics also indicate that the family who gathers for an evening meal at least three times a week experiences closer relationships, and have stronger ties.  And there is nothing like a table full of comfort foods to get conversations going.

I really love gathering around the table, eating good food and sharing hearts with my family. Some day my son and nieces will have tables of their own to gather around, hopefully carrying on the simple traditions we have created (of praying and thanking God for the bounty).
And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
 giving thanks to God the Father through Him.
 ~Colossians 3:17

Around here the evening meal encourages conversations. My son is inclined to open up more at the table. He asks questions, trying to discern many of life's mysteries at the dinner hour. Often one of us drifts away,  but he will linger there with me.    As I start the washing of dishes, we share conversations.   Sometimes he really opens up and shares his heart at this  special time. 
if our table could speak, what tales would be told!


No comments: