Thursday, October 2, 2014

The Mind and the Hand in Autumn

There is something about Autumn that gets my

 creative juices flowing! 


 Inspiration is everywhere. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I think I am still connecting to that back

to school feeling. 
 
 
 I get these strong urges to make
 
something;
 
 to put my photos in scrapbooks;
 
plan a harvest brunch, and make some
 
 place-cards for it,
 
plant various and multitudes of bulbs,
 
tie up bunches of herbs to dry,
 
make apple butter, or embroider something.



 
 
"Nothing feeds the center of being so much as creative work.  The curtain of mechanization has come down between the mind and the hand.” -Anne Morrow Lindbergh
 
 
 
 



Here are some suggestions to do on a cold, autumn night: 






· Sit in front of a blazing fire, and hand sew charming little gifts, like little pillows, sachets, pincushions, or a star to hang.  Felt is great for the fabric of these little treasures. 

 Keep a sewing basket near your most comfortable chair and Create!





 
· Sip decaf-tea in the evening, with your journal on your lap.  Pause to thank God for the previous day’s blessings, then write them in your journal. 





 I have a lovely leather journal, given to me by my sister, Natalie years ago for Christmas.  She begged me to begin this habit, imploring, “Just write 2-3 words down, anything!’. 




Now, I write many words, and it is such a delight to go back through the journal (like roses in December) at the way I have tried to maintain a positive outlook even in the midst of some serious trials.  I love remembering and  noting what my favorite women's minister. Beth Moore, calls “God-Stops” in my day.


 
·  Pray for a missionary family,  Make a card and send it to cheer them.


 
 
Carleen Chapman and Cia Howard like this.


No comments: